Friday, January 05, 2007

Yum Cha: A Kung Fu Experiance

I have had a strange desire, brought upon me from I forget where. (It might have been Meva, but I forget)(One day I insert links but till that day... keep on trucking)

This desire is to have Yum Cha. The chinese meal of steam baskets filled with dumpling gold.

Mmmmm......... Dumplings.

I will admit to having been to Yum Cha before, but only once. I remember the person who took me, Andrew Toland, and the reason for going, his birthday, and the movie we saw before hand, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
An aside, this movie gave me nightmares and to this day I struggle to watch it due to remembered frightners.
Anyway, Andrew Toland, Birthday, Indiana Jones.

I remember nothing of the food, exept that his parents picked it out for us. It must have been in about year 6, so it was his 10th or 11th birth day or so, maybe more, my brain doesn't work that well with age back then.

I remember clearly the chickens feet. I remember thinking. "What am I supposed to do with this?"
Another aside, if I was to interpret this into my modern language it would come out more like this. "What the fuck am I supposed to do with these fucking things? Why has a fucking back scratcher come out of a steaming dish? Is this a fucking massage parlour as well a restaraunt? Fuck me!"
That might be a good idea though, a restaraunt and massage parlour.

Anyway, chickens feet, WTF.

If they come out tomorrow I think I might just have to have a crack at eating them. You know just to say I have, and to see if they are worth eating because of the taste. They will have to be pretty dam tasty though to overcome the look of them.

Oh, and doesn't Yum Cha sound like something someone would say as they do a spinning heal kick into your head.
I think so.

So YUM CHA! (Insert spinning heal kick here)

3 Comments:

At 1:52 pm, Blogger meva said...

I really do love a yum cha! But I can never quite come at the chicken's feet. What the hell were those parents thinking? Did they want their little Andrew to have NO FRIENDS??!! I can imagine the day after the party. "Andrew's family eat chicken's feet. Eeewww!"

 
At 1:58 pm, Blogger Sloth said...

Funily, no comments were made about the chickens feet.

I think we all had a good time any way. It might not sound like it but he was asian. And we were very cultrally diverse even at that age.
It was an elite school (what was I doing there?) and so we had a lot of asian students.
(I did hear one guy I knew describe him self as an ABC. Australian Born Chinese.)

So no stigma for the feet. Andrew was very, very smart and so we just accepted this as his norm and got on with life.

In a class with a guy named Sandy, you got over things quickly. (Sandy was short for Alexander, but even they guy prefered Sandy)

 
At 3:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

friends of mine fight over chicken feat - strangely enough they also fight over fish eyes - that to me is gross!
is there anything there to eat on a foot of a chicken?
wings are boarder line for me - very tasty and good for chewing on - nothing like a good gnaw. Maybe you’ll find they’re like wings.
All I’ll say is don’t think about where they’ve been or how many times they’ve walked in their own poop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home